Tuesday 24 May 2011

Nars Carthage Pure Matte Lipstick - Summer 2011 Collection in Carthage


I think it was a mistake to buy Nars Deep Throat blush a couple of weeks ago.  It was my first Nars purchase, and now I’m well and truly hooked on the brand.  I saw online some swatches of the Pure Matte Lipstick in Carthage from the Nars Summer 2011 Collection and immediately decided that it had to be mine.  I needed an excuse to go to Space NK anyway to pick up my Birthday N-Dulge treat, but Nars is always a good excuse. I nearly came away with a host of eyeshadows as well, but I managed to resist

Natural Light

Artificial Light

Carthage is an almost scarily bright pink, blue toned, matte lipstick, and it’s way out of my comfort zone.  I have nothing like it in my collection.  I wore it with simple eyes and a black top, so I didn’t look like a clown or drag queen.  On my skin, it swatches very true to the tube, and is pretty bright and scary.  It’s definitely not a lippy for wearing to work (unless you work in the fashion industry) or to a wedding.  However, as a statement lipstick, I do really like it.  I tend to go for heavy eyes and muted lips, so it makes a bit of a change for me.

I applied it first by outlining with a lip brush, something that I almost never do, and went over it directly from the tube.  I like the smallness of the lipstick as it’s easier to apply with precision, but it still looks slightly wonky on my (admittedly slightly wonky) lips. 

Natural Light

Artificial Light

I had expected the lipstick, which promises to last for ages, to be drying on my lips, particularly given its matte formula.  I did find it slightly drying, but nothing that couldn’t be cured with a swipe of lipbalm prior to application.  It did last a good long time on me.  It survived several drinks, a 3 course meal and several more drinks, with most of the lipstick still on when I came to remove it at the end of the day.  I’m impressed with this staying power, as I have never had a lipstick last even through a cup of coffee.  I feel the purchase of some more wearable colours coming on...




For £18.50, it’s a pricey purchase, and I think I should’ve bought a colour that I would get more wear from.  However, I’m impressed with the quality and staying power and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it if you’re after a bright colour with an on-trend matte finish.

3 comments:

Nic, Strawberry Blonde said...

Oh wow I think this is a beautiful colour and just perfect for summer. It's pricey but at least it's under £20, unlike Dior, Chanel etc and the lasting power sounds amazing.

I love Nars and will def be checking this out. Thanks for the great review & apols as just realised I wasn't following your blog - now amended!

X

Nat said...

This is a gorgeous shade and lasting power sounds great! I normally stay away from matte lipsticks because, as you say, they tend to quite drying. These don't sound too bad at all though! x

TheBristolBeautyBlog said...

@ Strawberry Blond - it certainly is cheaper than Chanel, and I think it lasts much longer - I always get Chanel lippy all over my coffee mug! Thanks for following me by the way! x

@ Nat - the lasting power is impressive and it wasn't too drying, so definitely worth an investigation x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails